Depression is comprehensive and is very different from just feeling unhappy. Nowadays, it is very common. Three in five people are suffering from a major depressive stage in their lives. While most of the cases of depression are mild, near about two in ten persons experience a moderate stage of depression.
Depression is a disorder that can be caused by any kind of harm, whether it is financial or personal life tragedy, unhappiness like being rejected by someone or not getting the job that you want. Low motivation, excessive sadness, deficiency of interest in enjoyable things are common symptoms of depression. When it happened, it drains all our hope, energy and makes difficult to take a step that can help us to feel better.
How to deal with depression?
To deal with depression needs severe action but it can be somewhat difficult to take action when you are depressed. Thinking about the things that make you feel better such as spending time with friends or exercising can be impossible or exhausting to put into action.
By adopting the following small but positive steps in the daily routine, one can soon overcome and lift the heavy fog of depression and can find oneself feeling healthier, happier and more hopeful again.
- Always Do Things That Makes You Happy: To beat the depression, you have to do the things that energize or make you feel relax. You can do things like learning how to better manage stress, following a healthy lifestyle, scheduling fun activities into your day and setting limits on what you are able to do. You can also express yourself through music, creativity, art, writing, etc. Take a day trip with friends, colleagues to the ballpark, museum and mountains. For feeling better you can also try:
- Read a good book
- Spend some time in nature
- Watch a funny movie or TV show
- Take care of a few small tasks
- List what you like about yourself
- Do something spontaneous
- Eat Healthy And Depression Fighting Diet: Diet plays a vital role and has a direct impact on what you feel. Try to avoid intake of foods that can adversely affect your mood and brain such as alcohol, caffeine, trans fats, foods with chemical preservatives or hormones such as certain meats. Eat healthy and fresh food that provide Protein, Vitamin and other energy supplements to our body.
- Don’t skip meals.
- Minimize refined carbs and excess sugar in the diet
- Boost your B vitamins.
- Boost your mood with foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Stay Connected And Reach Out: Support and help play a vital role in beating depression. Stay connected with people, friends and taking part in various social activities can make a world difference in your outlook and mood. Taking initiative is not a sign of weakness and burden to others. Your loved ones always want to help and care about you. And if you do not feel that, build new friendships and ameliorate your network of support.
- Make face time a priority
- Look for support from people who care for and make feel you safe and happy
- Try to indulge in social activities even if you don’t feel like it
- Always find ways to support others
- Connect with a support group for depression
- Get Daily Dose Of Sunlight: Sunlight helps in boosting serotonin levels and can lift your mood. Get outside during daylight hours whenever possible and expose yourself to the Sun for at least 10-15 minutes a day.
- Have a coffee outside, take a walk on lunch break, spend time in gardening or enjoy an al fresco meal.
- Try hiking or playing games like golf with friends. You can also double up the benefits of sunlight by doing exercising outside.
- Exceed the amount of natural light in your workplace or home by opening drapes and blinds and sitting near windows.
- Try using light therapy box, when you live in a little winter sunshine.
- Get Moving: Feeling hopeless is one of the worst symptoms of depression. This feeling can hinder someone to take steps towards combating depression. But exercise is the most powerful fighter as well as an essential tool to cope with it. Also, it has been proved by the research that regular exercise is effective and give relief from depression symptoms. Along with exercise you can also do:
- Challenging and recognizing your critical inner voice
- Engage yourself in an activity like aerobic
- Refusing to punish yourself for feeling bad
- Identifying and feeling your anger
- Can also consult with a therapist
- Always Challenge Negative Thinking: Negative, unrealistic ways of thinking fuel the depression. Depression also puts a negative spin on everything. It also includes your way to see yourself as well as your expectations for the future.
When such kind of thoughts overwhelms you then it’s essential to remember that this is a sign of your depression. So, The trick is to cognize the type of negative thoughts that fuel the depression and replace them with more positive and balanced way of thinking.
When To Get Professional Help?
When you have tried self-help steps and positive lifestyle by yourself but still can’t find any solution for depression then you can seek the professional help. It doesn’t mean that you are weak or mentally disturb. Additional help can sometimes make you feel better and can remove negative thinking from you. It motivates you, give a reason to start a positive life again and can make you enjoy each and everything.
For the people who are suffering from depression, it’s important to have sympathy for yourself and to take various actions to beat this situation. Always keep remembering no matter what your inner critical voice tells you as there are many ways to cope with such situation.
The joy of becoming a mother is an unparalleled pleasure that any woman can ever have. Though, this entire process that stretches for almost 9 months is physically and mentally challenging but the joy of becoming a mother overcomes all the obstacles.
The first trimester of pregnancy is the most critical phase of a pregnancy. If you feel that there is something wrong with your body or things are not going the way that should then seeking a doctor help is must. There is one more thing that young mothers should also be aware of—Ectopic pregnancy.
Ectopic pregnancy is a rare phenomenon in which the zygote gets formed in the fallopian tube instead of the uterus and if not removed at the right time can lead to a critical medical issue. Ectopic pregnancy symptoms can be as common as bleeding, emotional upheaval, and severe stomach pain but if these issues are persisting for days at stretch then you need to see the doctor soon. We suggest you to seek professional help from fortislafemme, which has a brilliant team of gynecologists who are capable of offering right medical help.
Going through an ectopic pregnancy is physically, mentally, and emotionally daunting for any woman. The chances of going through depression are also quite high after the surgery.
Since it is a rare medical disorder, gauging its symptoms in the very first stage is not that easy. Undergoing an ectopic pregnancy surgery can be even more challenging. The first few months after the surgery are not going to be easy and you may have to face a lot of pain also. Here are some precautions that you can take post-surgery.
Avoid Exercising: Even if you are feeling good after 2-3 weeks post-surgery. Don’t to go for exercising right after. Make sure you also don’t lift heavy weight as it might put pressure on your reproductive organs.
Expect constipation: Abdominal surgeries usually interfere with the functioning of intestines and often lead to the problem of constipation. Make sure you eat food rich with fiber, fruits, and vegetables. Drink plenty of water and lemon juice. Take a lot of rest so that your digestive system comes right on track after sometime.
Spending time with family and friends: For a woman, the biggest challenge after ectopic surgery is dealing with emotional trauma. One might feel depressed and extremely hopeless after the surgery. At that time, family members should ensure that they spend quality time with the patient to recover from the situation. This problem is most likely to stay for 3-6 months but if the patient is not able to recover from it even after 6 months then she might need clinical help.
Go for regular doctor visits: The first few months are going to be extremely tiring after the surgery which is why one should prefer going to hospitals for regular checkups. If you think that you are not very comfortable with your gynecologist then there is nothing wrong in taking second opinion from the other doctor.
Most of us are familiar with all those captious thoughts that always tell us that we are not good enough, that put a doubt on our goals and weaken our accomplishments. These thoughts could be there to greet us when we first see ourselves in the mirror in the morning. These thoughts might be like, “you are so fat”, “you are unattractive”, “you are a slob, just look at your face, hair, waistline, hips,” and blablabla…
Such inner critic might meet you at the workplace or in any work that you do. In result to this, you may either come under too much pressure, or you will never get everything done, and no one even can notice you and you may just give up on your goal. It is also there to critique your closest relationships. With it, you thought like, “am I the only one whose appearance and disappearance does not matter to anyone.” Or sometimes thought that “he/she does not even love you. No one cares about you.” It will never last. Just don’t be feckless.
From the recent studies, it is clear that every person is divided; the first part of us is self-possessed and goal-directed, while another one is self-denying, self-critical and even self-destructive. Such “anti-selfness” perpetuates a negative thought process that refers to as the “critical inner voice.” A self-criticism is a good thing, but an excess of it leads to backfire, as it tends us to focus on our so-called failures instead of those small ways from which we can improve. Also, the self-trash-talk associated with the higher levels of stress and even depression.
It is fact that women have more inner negative voices than men, it is because we have been socialized not to stand out, so when we search to do so, our inner voice challenges us. But we do not have to live with the sound of this murmuring crow. We can do many things to soften or silence that negative voice. Here are the few tips you can do to manage your inner critic:
- Become Aware Of Its Presence: Try to recognize what your critical inner voice is telling you. Knowing this negative inner voice is the first step to silencing it. Accept that this thought process is distinct from your real point of view. Just keep in mind that your critical inner voice is not a reflection of reality. It is the only viewpoint that you keep on considering based on attitudes and destructive early experiences directed toward you that you have internalized as your own point of view.
- Try The Power Of Positive Thinking: One of the ways that can help you in fighting with your critical inner voice is writing your thoughts in the way of the second person and think positive about yourself. For example, if you think like, “I am unable to get anything right. I’ll never be successful”, so write it as, “You are unable to get anything right. You’ll never be successful”. This result in a change that it will help you to see these negative thoughts as an alien point of view and not as your true statements. You will notice how unfriendly this internal enemy can be.
- Bolster Your Confidence: Make yourself more confident by responding to your inner critic by writing down a more compassionate and realistic evaluation of yourself. Write responses as a first person (I). Then, in reply to a thought like, “You are such an idiot,” you also could write, “I struggle at times, but I am competent and smart in many ways.” This will not only boost your confidence up or build your ego but also make more honest attitude towards yourself.
- Put A Better Spin On Things: Always try to replace the negative critic’s voice with your own inner voice full of confidence. Instead of saying yourself, “I am not organized, I will never get anything done right,” try to make yourself to say, “I am going to get it done…” It may be silly but this positive self-talk wordings reminds you that you are not having low self-esteem and then you can replace your negative voice with own positive thoughts.
- Defy The Inner Critic: Sometimes, there is an awkward situation arises when you feel afraid. For instance, when you are sitting in a meeting, there comes a situation when you feel fearful to raise your hand to speak or ask questions. You may have a fear that what you say will not come out clearly or others will disagree with you. Instead of it, challenge yourself to defy from this negative thought and raise your hands up anyway. The more you do this, the more the inner critic’s voice will fade.
Remember not to act or feel on the directives of your inner critic. Always take those actions that represent your own point of view, what you aim to achieve, who you want to be. Inner critic voice may get louder and louder to tell you to not to take chances or to stay in line. However, separating from, by identifying and acting against destructive thought process, you will definitely grow stronger and bolder, while your inner critic grows weaker.
Almost everyone has heard about the term “Anxiety”. However, it’s a fact that only few of us know exactly what this word means and how it can affect our life. Anxiety is a common problem that is faced by both men and women. But, it is observed that women experience much more anxiety than men. Being a woman, we all have gone through some situations where we felt stressed out, nervous or worried. Those situations could be a school exam, an interview, giving an audition in front of a huge crowd, or any other similar situation. But, in case it happens with you very frequently then it must not be ignored. Let’s understand this term “anxiety”, its causes and diagnosis in detail.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety can be defined as a state of feeling uneasiness, stressed, fretful or worried. These are the most common symptoms of anxiety. It is estimated that women are more likely to suffer from anxiety as compared to men. Every ‘one’ of ‘three’ women has anxiety and every ‘one’ of ‘five’ men faces anxiety problem.
Some common causes of anxiety in women:
Hormonal Changes: Compared to men, women experience more fluctuation in hormones. It is found that anxiety often occurs during the periods of significant hormonal change. These hormonal changes include menopause, pregnancy, adrenal fatigue, thyroid etc. Anxiety is one of the results of these hormonal changes.
Thinking Habits: Women are more inclined to have negative thinking, emotional feeling, self- criticized and think more about the stressful situations.
Low Testosterone: Anxiety and depression are the symptoms of low testosterone in women. Men are not the only ones who need testosterone. Women also make it in smaller amounts, and it provides lifelong benefits, including reduced anxiety.
Low Levels Of GABA: Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) is an important neurotransmitter in your brain, it has a calming effect that prevents the brain from being overwhelmed. Moderately low levels of GABA are linked to anxiety, panic attacks and mood swings.
How to overcome anxiety?
Here I am sharing some effective and easy to adapt solutions for overcoming anxiety. By following these solutions you can get rid of anxiety.
Exercise: Exercise makes you stay away from all the negative thoughts or worries. It helps in relieving stress. Just by doing some basic exercises like breathing faster, walking, medication etc helps in increasing energy and ability to concentrate.
Yoga: Yoga plays an important role in overcoming anxiety as it is very useful in increasing the GABA levels. The increased level of GABA reduces the anxiety effectively. Yoga provides you with ability to relax.
Proper Sleep: According to research, sleep-deprived women are more likely to be anxious. Sleep loss activates areas of the brain that are also activated during anxiety. Therefore, it is necessary to have at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night, and stepping away from electronic devices like mobile phones 30 minutes before bedtime.
Anxiety is a much more common problem for women than it is for men. Many women struggle with anxiety every day. In order to overcome anxiety, you should take a serious commitment. The solutions that I have mentioned above can provide you relief from anxiety.
We live in the society where caste has always ruled over the purity of love; we live in a country where people prefer to kill their kids rather than allowing them to get married to a person they love. Every now and then we can hear the stories of the victims of this harsh culture that believes that the caste is above anyone’s happiness.
Falling in love is not a crime…
Falling in love is natural, and you are not committing a crime if you love a person from the bottom of your heart.
Most of the time, a person in love does not reveal that he/she loves someone who do not belong to his/her caste just because of the pressure of society. At the end, they just end their relationship for the sake of the fake “Aan, Baan and Shaan” (reputation) of their family.
Some couples who even go for fighting for their love are suppressed by their families either emotionally or by physical torture. And, if they go against them even after all the drama of their family, they get killed by their own parents or family members.
Be strong enough …
Believe it or not, you have the power to change the world! The only thing is, you need to be strong enough to fight alone for the right and to win your own battle. Yes, it’s not easy to convince people that you are right, yes it’s not easy to make them understand the depth of your love but your will power can make anything possible.
Parents must also understand that their kids are not doing anything wrong if they want to marry a girl/boy of their own choice. In the 21st century everyone has the right to choose his/her life partner and the constitution of India provides every individual the right to marry a person of their choice.
Don’t force your children and do not try to impose your dreams and thinking in your child. They are grown up now, let them take the decision of their life themselves; ultimately it’s their right. Don’t let the society and casteism ruin the dreams of your children, don’t let them be the victims of the cruel society you live in.
Whether it’s the matter of love life or your relationship with your family and friends, the only thing most people try to find is the ‘Happiness’. We tend to incline towards the person with whom we feel happy. However, this is not the case for everyone. Many of us would say, “I am not happy with anyone or anything in my life”, yes its the fact. I myself is the biggest example of the kind of person who literally was not happy with anyone or with anything in my life. However, after getting the blues for 25 years of my life, and after analyzing several things by my own experiences, I came to realize that our happiness is in our own hands.
How To Be Happy In Life?
If you really want to be happy with your life, the very first thing you need to understand is that the life can’t be perfect; neither yours nor mine and not even for anyone in this world. Once you understand this key point, you will for sure feel great! You have food to eat, a cozy bed to sleep and of course the accessibility to internet via which you are able to read this article…think about the people who can’t even arrange their bread and butter, think about those who have no roof over their head and you will feel like you are the happiest person in the entire world.
Another big cause of sorrow is the feeling of selflessness. Yes, you heard it right. Sometimes, putting the needs and wishes of others over yours could be the biggest cause of unhappiness and disappointments. I am not saying that you should stop thinking about your loved ones, I am not saying that you should be selfish, but yes, I am saying that you should be concerned more about yourself rather than thinking all the time about everyone else. Once you will start giving time to yourself, once you’ll start keeping your wishes above everything else, you will definitely see a big change in your life.
When it comes to happiness, being financially independent is another thing that comes in my mind. I have seen women who do not work and are completely dependent on their husbands or children. Since they do not earn, they can’t even buy a simple thing that would bring a smile to their face. Every time they think of getting anything, they have to ask for it. On the other hand, if you are independent, you would be able to fulfill your small dreams, and believe me, nothing is more pleasing than fulfilling your dreams with your own, with your own money.
The last yet another important thing that itself has the potential to ruin your joy, or to fill your heart with all the happiness of life is your love relationship. Get rid of a person who do not value you, get rid of someone who do not care about your dreams, your goals, separate yourself from the one who always makes you cry. Yeah baby, don’t ruin your life for someone who is not worthy, you deserve ultimate love, you deserve the care and you deserve to be happy in your life!
Send your feedback and talk to me, I would love to hear from you 🙂