Depression is comprehensive and is very different from just feeling unhappy. Nowadays, it is very common. Three in five people are suffering from a major depressive stage in their lives. While most of the cases of depression are mild, near about two in ten persons experience a moderate stage of depression.
Depression is a disorder that can be caused by any kind of harm, whether it is financial or personal life tragedy, unhappiness like being rejected by someone or not getting the job that you want. Low motivation, excessive sadness, deficiency of interest in enjoyable things are common symptoms of depression. When it happened, it drains all our hope, energy and makes difficult to take a step that can help us to feel better.
How to deal with depression?
To deal with depression needs severe action but it can be somewhat difficult to take action when you are depressed. Thinking about the things that make you feel better such as spending time with friends or exercising can be impossible or exhausting to put into action.
By adopting the following small but positive steps in the daily routine, one can soon overcome and lift the heavy fog of depression and can find oneself feeling healthier, happier and more hopeful again.
- Always Do Things That Makes You Happy: To beat the depression, you have to do the things that energize or make you feel relax. You can do things like learning how to better manage stress, following a healthy lifestyle, scheduling fun activities into your day and setting limits on what you are able to do. You can also express yourself through music, creativity, art, writing, etc. Take a day trip with friends, colleagues to the ballpark, museum and mountains. For feeling better you can also try:
- Read a good book
- Spend some time in nature
- Watch a funny movie or TV show
- Take care of a few small tasks
- List what you like about yourself
- Do something spontaneous
- Eat Healthy And Depression Fighting Diet: Diet plays a vital role and has a direct impact on what you feel. Try to avoid intake of foods that can adversely affect your mood and brain such as alcohol, caffeine, trans fats, foods with chemical preservatives or hormones such as certain meats. Eat healthy and fresh food that provide Protein, Vitamin and other energy supplements to our body.
- Don’t skip meals.
- Minimize refined carbs and excess sugar in the diet
- Boost your B vitamins.
- Boost your mood with foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Stay Connected And Reach Out: Support and help play a vital role in beating depression. Stay connected with people, friends and taking part in various social activities can make a world difference in your outlook and mood. Taking initiative is not a sign of weakness and burden to others. Your loved ones always want to help and care about you. And if you do not feel that, build new friendships and ameliorate your network of support.
- Make face time a priority
- Look for support from people who care for and make feel you safe and happy
- Try to indulge in social activities even if you don’t feel like it
- Always find ways to support others
- Connect with a support group for depression
- Get Daily Dose Of Sunlight: Sunlight helps in boosting serotonin levels and can lift your mood. Get outside during daylight hours whenever possible and expose yourself to the Sun for at least 10-15 minutes a day.
- Have a coffee outside, take a walk on lunch break, spend time in gardening or enjoy an al fresco meal.
- Try hiking or playing games like golf with friends. You can also double up the benefits of sunlight by doing exercising outside.
- Exceed the amount of natural light in your workplace or home by opening drapes and blinds and sitting near windows.
- Try using light therapy box, when you live in a little winter sunshine.
- Get Moving: Feeling hopeless is one of the worst symptoms of depression. This feeling can hinder someone to take steps towards combating depression. But exercise is the most powerful fighter as well as an essential tool to cope with it. Also, it has been proved by the research that regular exercise is effective and give relief from depression symptoms. Along with exercise you can also do:
- Challenging and recognizing your critical inner voice
- Engage yourself in an activity like aerobic
- Refusing to punish yourself for feeling bad
- Identifying and feeling your anger
- Can also consult with a therapist
- Always Challenge Negative Thinking: Negative, unrealistic ways of thinking fuel the depression. Depression also puts a negative spin on everything. It also includes your way to see yourself as well as your expectations for the future.
When such kind of thoughts overwhelms you then it’s essential to remember that this is a sign of your depression. So, The trick is to cognize the type of negative thoughts that fuel the depression and replace them with more positive and balanced way of thinking.
When To Get Professional Help?
When you have tried self-help steps and positive lifestyle by yourself but still can’t find any solution for depression then you can seek the professional help. It doesn’t mean that you are weak or mentally disturb. Additional help can sometimes make you feel better and can remove negative thinking from you. It motivates you, give a reason to start a positive life again and can make you enjoy each and everything.
For the people who are suffering from depression, it’s important to have sympathy for yourself and to take various actions to beat this situation. Always keep remembering no matter what your inner critical voice tells you as there are many ways to cope with such situation.